Friday 3 May 2013

Featuring Janet

Hello, dear friends, its Deepti here throwing the spotlight on the amazingly talented Janet Ribet. The moment I came across her blog, I was awed by her creativity and simplicity of designs. She has immense talent which ranges from beautiful cards to altered books… Yay!! I know you are excited to know all about Janet, so let’s throw the spotlight on our star for this Fascinating Friday…



Name: Janet Ribet
1. Tell us a little about yourself and your family. 
I was born in Zimbabwe, grew up in South Africa, met and married a wonderful Mauritian man and have been living in Mauritius for 22 years. I have 3 children. My 2 girls are studying at university in the UK, and my son is at French Lycee here.

2. How and when did you start crafting?
I’ve always enjoyed art and playing with paper and pens, pencils and paints. When I first came to Mauritius, there weren’t many cards so my mother bought me 3 stamps and 2 ink pads from South Africa in 1994 and I haven’t stopped since. I took up scrapbooking in 2001, and I love doing small projects too ... boxes, mini albums, frames and decoupage. Recently I have started doing altered books.

3. From where do you draw your inspiration?
I get it from all over … from the stamps themselves, nature, magazines, advertising, fashion, home décor and of course the wonderful blog and pinterest online world.

4. How would you describe your style?
I don’t feel I have one particular style - been a bit of a Jill of all trades (except shabby chic). However, I find that I am gravitating towards CAS more and more but I as love playing with techniques that doesn’t always happen.

5. What are the 5 top tools in your crafting space?
The tools I use all the time … my trimmer, scissors, heat gun, craft knife and most recently, my absolutely fabulous Silhouette Cameo.

6. What’s your favorite technique?
You can’t really ask me to just pick one!! I’d say my top 3 are resist embossing, paper piecing and cutting and layering. But then I could also add distressing, water coloring and alcohol inks. I find it hard to make decisions as I'm creating ... the operative word being "OR", as in "OR I could also do ...."

7. What are your go-to colors?
I’m definitely a blue person and often add turquoise or greens. I have also loved the turquoise and brown color combo.

8. Do you sell your projects?
Not generally. I occasionally sell some cards and have made a number of scrapbooks for other people. But I love to teach and get others experience the fun and wonder of creating something themselves.

9. What do you do when you aren’t crafting? Job? Other hobbies and interests?
I have a really small stamping and scrapping shop and studio off my garage and run courses a couple times a month.Otherwise I’m a housewife (minister of home affairs, education, tourism, transport, health, food, maintenance, etc). I help my mother-in-love as she is pretty much housebound. I love to read and belong to a book club. I’m trying to get healthy and we have started a weekly “Move More, Eat Well” group where one of us demos a recipe and then we eat it!

10.  Are you currently designing for any blog?
I have never been a DT member, but I have been a guest designer on Lily Pad Cards (which has unfortunately stopped) and Scrap RDV.






Wow!!! It was wonderful to know so much more about you. Thank you so much Janet for sharing with us. These are just a few projects that we could showcase here. Fellow crafters, I am sure you want to see more of these beautiful creations so now you can visit her beautiful blog and flickr photostream to see many more creations from Janet and get inspired. Great Day Ahead!!

5 comments:

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Great interview Janet! Love your work!

Cindy C. said...

So nice to have a chance to know more about you Janet! Beautiful projects. Congrats on being feathered!

Ardyth said...

Wow! A splendid showcasing of Janet's immense talent! Thanks for sharing all this!

Tasnim said...

Great interview, and what a beautiful collection of artwork! Absolutely stunning!

Hussena said...

Stunning cards Janet I really love each and everyone of them ...Congrats on being featured here :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment...Your kind words mean the WORLD to me :)