Friday 24 June 2011

Get mused with Kelly

A new Friday...A new artist!!! Today we'll be inspired by an architect in scrapbooking....Yes, you read it right :) Kelly's layouts are beautifully sophisticated that you should have a glance at...Pls help me welcome Kelly Klapstein...
 Name: Kelly Klapstein

1. How did you get involved in the world of scrapbooking?
I think I've been a scrapbooker since birth! ha ha! My mother was a scrapbooker, and ever since I can remember, we always put photos in albums and saved memorabilia in scrapbooks.  As for "modern" scrapbooking, however, I started about eight years ago when my daughter's kindergarten teacher asked some parent volunteers to work on scrapbooks for the entire class.  I enjoyed it so much that I took a few classes at a scrapbook store, and I was hooked!

2. How do you go about creating a layout? Describe your typical process.
I'm inspired to create a layout in so many different ways.  It can be an event, like a birthday, or some product and paper that I love, or a design idea pops into my head.  Lately, I've been sketching my designs when I have an idea so I don't forget the inspiration.  Then I take my sketch and photos into my scrapbook store and shop for papers and embellishments that might work.  I also have been experimenting with techniques, so I'm always thinking about how I can add innovative and creative elements to my pages.  Sometimes I think about my design for weeks, and sometimes it comes together very quickly and easily.  When I finally sit down to design my layout, I usually have a very definitive visualization of the page, so it's just a matter of using adhesive and putting it all together.

3. What are your favorite products and tools to use on your layouts? If you could have unlimited access to any product or tool, what would it be?
This is a tough question to answer.  Currently, I have been designing with a lot of Tim Holtz and Graphic 45 papers and products.  This year I set a goal to start scrapping my heritage photos, from both my family and my husband's family.  So many of the products I use help me create that vintage style or theme.  Which product would I choose to have unlimited access?  Hmmmm, is patterned paper an obvious choice?  Maybe inks then, especially Distress Inks and chalk inks.
 
4. What types of unconventional, unique, or unexpected materials or techniques have you used on your layouts?
I have definitely stretched my artistic vision this year! ha ha! The most unusual products I've used have been canvas, transparencies, burlap and wood veneer paper.  Last fall, however, I created a page about my father, who has Alzheimer's, and I wanted it to reflect his love of music, so I used a 45 vinyl record on the layout. 
 
5. When someone opens your scrapbooks years from now, what do you hope they will think or say?
I'd like to think they will enjoy learning about their family history through journalling and photos and also have a glimpse into my creative world, perhaps even appreciating scrapbooking as multi-media artistry. 
 
6. Where can we view more of your work? (galleries, blog, etc...)
 I have a blog. Also you are welcome to visit my gallery at Scrapbook.com where I'm called "KellyCreates." I also design and teach classes at my local scrapbook store called Scrap-A-Lot, and some of my work is on their websitewww.scrap-a-lot.com.  

Time to receive some inspirational doses:




Oh my, full of gorgeousness!!! Adore the layers, accents, techniques and literally everything on them...Thank you Kelly for fascinating us this Friday and thanks to all who popped by :) We have the best artists here at Fascinating Fridays, don't we??? See you soon, mmmwah :)  

10 comments:

KellyCreates said...

Hello Noor! Just wanted to thank you and Alia for featuring me today! I'm honored to share my passion for scrapbooking on your website. Cheers, Kelly

Sandi Smith said...

Big congrats to Kelly...I too think her work is fascinating. Her creations are stunning!

Tasha said...

What a great read! Kelly is also super helpful if you have questions or want to learn and I LOVE working with her. You go girl!! Tasha

Alia said...

Love all of Kelly's work.... who wouldn't?! :)

Noor Nahdi said...

Welcome sweet Kelly!!!
And you're so right Alia, who wouldn't love Kelly's work?!

BILY Canada said...

Inspiring art!

Kate said...

What absolutely fabulous pages! Wow!

Cindy Gay said...

Kelly is a very good writer too!

Pendra said...

Thanks for showcasing Kelly, I am a follower of hers and think that she is very talented and quite the sweet character and I am glad to hear that others see that too!

Izzy Anderson said...

Kelly's work is jaw-dropping. It is full of intricate and well-thought out details. She amazes me.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment...Your kind words mean the WORLD to me :)